Saturday, May 17, 2008

Wednesday, May 14- Still Quartzsite, Arizona

And the Bad Mommy of the Year Award goes to?  Me.  I woke up this morning to Addison falling off the bed.  L  AHH!  I felt so horrible.  My little girl now has some carpet burn on the side of her face.  Bad mommy!!!  I even thought about putting a pillow on the other side of her, but I didn’t.  Would have, should have, could have.  Damn it. 

We are now at Nick’s grandparents place waiting for breakfast!  Coffee time!!  Breakfast is by far the greatest meal on the face of the earth.  I don’t know why some people don’t eat breakfast.  I mean, come ON!!  Pancakes, eggs, bacon, waffles, French toast, fruit, coffee, cereal, what’s NOT to like?  I got onto a breakfast kick when I was pregnant and now I just can’t get enough of it!  Same with sushi.  I didn’t eat anything raw when I was pregnant, but now that I can… OH MY GOD!  It’s so amazing.  Peter’s Sushi Spot in Anchorage, Alaska.  The BEST sushi I have ever had.  Nothing else has topped it thus far.  We went to a place in Gresham, OR and it was horrible.  It was the kind where they make it and put it up on this track that runs around to all the tables.  They change out the food on the track every three hours.  Ew.  If I want to eat a roll, it needs to be made right before my eyes!  I don’t want a roll that’s been running around on a track for three hours!  Gross.  I love sushi though.  When it is GOOD sushi.  There was this one at Peter’s called the Mindy Roll.  I couldn’t even tell you what is on it, but it was so tasty!  It was the most delectable thing I think I have ever put in my mouth!  I’m starting to drool just thinking about it.  Too bad it was a special roll.  When we go back to Alaska in August it probably won’t be on the menu anymore.  Damn! 

I finally got Addison to go to sleep.  She has been fighting it for the past hour or so.  Maybe longer.  It’s so frustrating when just about everything you do won’t get them to go to sleep.  I finally had to strap her into her car seat and go for a drive.  Luckily that worked.  I don’t know what I would have done if she was still awake right now.  Probably hand her over to her father so I could go outside and scream.  And then proceed to start crying.  FRUSTRATIONNNNNNN!!!  I love the little bugger though.  She’s so adorable when she’s happy!  She’s just starting whining through a yawn.  It’s pretty amusing.  She will be crying because she’s tired and then she lets out a big yawn (which is sort of new, she never yawns!) and she keeps trying to cry through her yawn.  Ha!!  It makes me chuckle! 

So Granny has these little rat dogs.  Pekinese, I think?  They are so ugly!  I guess one of them has a back problem and so he walks around like he has no front legs.  He just sits there and licks the air.  Labs are MUCH cooler dogs.  Nick wants another Newfoundland (which I love- and he grew up with them) and I want a Lab.  I’ve always wanted a black Lab named Atticus.  That seems like such a fitting name for a black Lab!  Or a chocolate Lab.  I don’t know what I’d name a chocolate though.  Definitely not Hershey like everyone else names them.  Hershey doesn’t even have good chocolate, so that would be a rather demeaning name for a chocolate lab!  Absolutely not Godiva, or Dove or any of those dim-witted names either.  Just because it’s a chocolate Lab doesn’t mean you have to name it after a chocolate company!  I like the name Hank.  Hank has a lot of character wrapped up into that name.  My cousin has a dog named Hank though, so that’s crossed off the list.  It’s definitely something to sit on and think about.  Giving a dog the wrong name is completely irreverent! 

I just read in the National Geographic May 2008 issue (about China) that people in Beijing are allowed no more than one dog and they prohibit pets more than 14 inches tall/high.  Whoa!  There is also the law that you can have no more than one child.  The one-child policy created a generation of about 90 million only-children.  That’s a LOT of only children!  I want Addison to have a sibling.  In about a year and a half we will be trying to have another baby.  It’s going to be hard to go through it all again, but I’m looking forward to it.  I hope the next kid is as good as Addison is!  We really lucked out with this little girl.  She is happy as can be and really only cries when she’s tired, hungry or just cranky.  Only one more though.  And then Nick is getting snipped and I’m probably going to get my shit scrambled in there (if I’m getting a c-section anyways).  We can’t afford a boat for a family of 5! 

Yes, that is our plan.  To buy a sail boat and live on it after Nick retires from the Coast Guard in about 12 years.  Then we are going cruising!  Around the world we go!  Not like AROUND, but around.  (Know what I mean, eh?)  Everybody looks at us like we are crazy when we tell them about this plan.  Some people think we are completely out of touch with reality.  Quite a few people have done this!  Living on a boat is SO much cheaper than living on land.  Especially if you are traveling to places where the dollar is worth a lot (like Indonesia, the South Pacific, etc).  With a sailboat, you can get by using one tank of gas for a long time, especially if you are an excellent sailor that doesn’t need to use the engine to get out of the marina.  Most times people only use the engine to charge batteries.  If  you outfit the boat with enough solar panels then you hopefully won’t even have to use the engine!  There are ways to do it.  And having kids on the boat?  No problem!  From every thing we have read, and all the stories that are from the kid’s perspectives, they love being on the water and traveling.  Most of them grow up to be very successful in business and international relations and the like.  And then they aren’t going to public school every day, getting pregnant when they are 13 and getting picked up at the bus stop and sold into prostitution rings (yes, all this happened at the middle school my mother-in-law works at, and that’s a decent part of town!).  Fuck that!!  My daughter is going to be well versed in the ways of the world!  So anyone that thinks we are off our rocker can suck it!

No comments: