Saturday, May 17, 2008

Monday, May 12 Los Angeles en route to Joshua Tree

Nick, Addison, Bob Bitchin', Me, and Judy 

Continued… (I got sidetracked!)

We found our way down to this ritzy marina (ritzy, as in… bell boys and valet parking) and visited the Latitudes & Attitudes store.  Any person interested in cruising (via boat, sail or whatever) knows what Lats & Atts is!  The founder, Bob Bitchin’ (AKA Robert Lipkin, but everyone knows him as Bob Bitchin’) just so happened to be upstairs in the office.  KICK ASS!  The girl working in the shop sent us up to go visit Bob and his wife Judy.  Yay!  They are some nice people.  Bob used to own a Bikers magazine (and a tattoo magazine), but then he sold it and took off cruising around the world for 5 years with his friend Judy (they then hooked up and married a few years later).  Bob wrote a couple books and is now the owner/publisher/whatever of the magazine Latitudes & Attitudes.  One of the most entertaining magazines we have ever come across.  So anywho, we met Bob and Judy! 

 

We ate and Joe’s Crab Shack that night.  It was alright.  Nick cooks better crab, for sure.  Snow crab is too much work for the little amount of meat in them!  Dungeness is better, but I think King is by far my favorite.  Mmmmm J  We took off from Redondo Beach, CA and headed to Joshua Tree National Park where we spent the night.  Joshua Tree is beautiful, but what boggles me is what in the hell would possess ANYONE to live in the desert?!?!  Blech.  I think I’d rather die a thousand deaths than buy a home in the desert.   Give me some water!  I need lush greenery!  I need LIFE!  Besides, I can’t scuba dive in the desert! 

Nick eating at Joe's Crab Shack 

We are visiting Nick’s grandparents here in Arizona now.  We’ve been here since Saturday and I already want to kill myself.  WHYYYYYYY do people live here?  Quartzsite, Arizona is a complete dead-end of a town.  All four corners of the town end in either a gas station or a trailer park.  I don’t think I’ve seen any houses that are actually houses and not mobile homes.  It’s so trashy looking!  The main attraction that this town has is the rock and gem festival in January.  A ROCK SHOW!!  “Hey everybody!  Come see all my rocks!”  Oy.  I don’t get it.  And you would think that with being about 100 miles away from the Mexico border that there would be some decent Mexican food here in this shit hole of a town.  But no.  We went out to get some Mexican food and alas… it was horrible.  Sad! 

 

We did make it to the Grand Canyon yesterday (Sunday- damn it, it’s only Monday today…) and it was definitely one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen!  Pictures do not serve it justice.  At all.  Looking down into the canyon almost gave me the feeling of vertigo.  It was so deep that it was hard to look down and focus, thus causing a dizzying sensation.  It was so cool!  It was almost like being drunk. 

Looking into the Grand Canyon AKA the Abyss 

Speaking of drunk, we camped in the park last night and got a wee bit too drunk.  Well, Nick and Granny got a wee bit too drunk.  I was the responsible individual that only got sort of drunk!  J  Granny was so sloshed that when Nick mentioned reading everything about Robinson Crusoe she got a little too excited and fell off the cooler she was sitting on!  She fell backwards and hit her head on Nick’s bike that was propped up against the tree behind her.  It was pretty entertaining after we made sure she was okay!  We all got into a huge argument about religion and politics and other random/stupid things.  (I even got to whip out the line “Well if everyone just agreed with me, we wouldn’t be having this argument!”)  I think it’s a good thing we left the campground early this morning before everyone else woke up.  We probably would have gotten a couple dirty looks because heated drunken discussions tend to result in loud, obnoxious voices.  Oops.  Sorry people that were near us in the campground! 

 

I woke up this morning to a bunch of sneaky ravens eating everything we had left out on the picnic table.  They ate all my doughnuts!!  Ooooh.  Had we not left that campground I may have tried to seek vengeance!!  Damn birds.  Eating my doughnuts!  They also managed to eat the potato salad (that shouldn’t have been left out of the cooler anyways) and all of my little girl’s teething biscuits.  Bah!  Oh well. 

 

So now we are back to the “housey house” as Granny likes to call it.  (Don’t ask me… I don’t know.)  It’s been nice to just hang out with Nick and take it easy.  I am SO ready to leave this place.  We are going to be here until Friday though.  Oy.  I hope I don’t snap by then.  Heat does funky things to me.  Such as DRIVE ME INSANE!!! 

 

Rough itinerary:

Tuesday- do nothing

Wednesday- go to Mexico

Thursday- get ready to leave

Friday- LEAVE!!  And go to Nevada.  Ugh, more desert.

 

We are going to go see my grandma next.  She’s up in the Middle of Nowhere, Nevada.  We will probably only be there for a day though and then head on out.  We are thinking that we will go back to the coast.  After all this desert, we are going to need to be in contact with A LOT of water to make us sane again.  Or at least feel like we aren’t so dried out.  Nick is talking about stopping by the Oregon caves, near the Klamath Falls area.  I am definitely excited to get back to the coast!  We might go stay on Jeff’s boat again in Newport, OR.  Go and eat some more crab and just hang out on the boat, fly the kite, ride bikes, take it easy. 

 

Okay, I’m ready to leave Arizona. 

No comments: