Saturday, May 3, 2008

Diving

There is something very humbling about stepping foot into the underwater environment.  Today was the start of my open water certification dives (scuba).  The visibility was HORRIBLE.  The worst I think we could have possibly come across.  Vis was about 5 feet, well... less than 5 feet.  I couldn't see my own hand if I stuck it out in front of me.  It was so incredibly horrible!  We were sitting on the floor of Hood Canal working on skills and something moved under my leg.  HOLY SHIT!!  I had to concentrate on not freaking out.  It was incredible.  Tomorrow's visibility might be a bit better.  Today was the only day that shrimp was open to fishermen this whole season.   There were a lot of boats out.  Lingcod just opened up as well, so there was a good amount of boat traffic.  

The hubby and I can't take the scuba class together because of the daughter.  It's unfortunate because it would be neat to dive with him, however at the same time it's probably good that we aren't taking the class together.  He's going to get certified in June.  He was going to get certified at the end of May, but his grandfather is getting a pacemaker installed.  ROAD TRIP!  Heading on down to Arizona on Tuesday!  We have some stops planned, but for the most part, we will just go without an itinerary.  Mainly we just have to be back home by May 24th, when my mom comes down to visit!  Kick ass!  Nick says it's only 2 weeks... but in my head I'm thinking it's longer.  I haven't looked at a calendar either.  That's more than just two weeks right?  Heh heh... 

So here I sit in Hoodsport, WA with not a whole lot to do.  We went down to the hot tub, but the wee one got pissed off sitting beside the spa in her car seat, so we came back up to the room.  All but the hubby.  He's still sitting down there with some other guys.  My little girl and I are just hanging out.  She's on the bed talking to her toys :)  I can't believe I'm a mom.  Shew, even after 6 months it hasn't seemed to set in.  I can now celebrate Mother's Day for myself!  Weird... 

Well, I'm out.  PEACE... and chicken grease?

1 comment:

Tera said...

Wow - that is amazing and scary all at the same time. I really hope the visibilty is better for you next time. Good job on not freaking out when that thing moved - I don't think I would have been able to stay calm!

Tera